Thursday, August 25, 2011

Is The Natural Hair Community Being Taken Advantage Of??

Hey Curly Nation!

It's ya girl MusiQ and today I have a question for all of you out there in the natural hair community.  It seems like every day, I'm hearing of a new product line that just hit the online market. Even well-known and established hair care lines in the African American community have created new hair care products that cater specifically to natural hair. And now there's even talk of a natural hair sorority! What next? All this sounds well and good "on paper", but is it really ALL good? Throughout my entire natural hair journey, I have heard reports of issues with certain businesses that cater to those with natural hair from price hikes to undelivered orders. Even products coming out the GATE with insane prices before they've even established themselves as a reputable company, and we (or at least some of us) buy into it. This brings me to a question - Is the natural hair community being taken advantage of or is it all fair game in "the pursuit of happyness".....? Let me know what you think. Til next time Curly Nation!

Live Free! Live Natural!



~MusiQ

2 comments:

  1. I do think we are being taken advantage of, especially someone like myself that have been natural not even a full year. I've been to several local retailers and have found that some major brands of some of our favorite natural hair care products are selling out to get into larger stores, such as Target, CVS, and Walgreens. I heard that in order to appeal to the masses at these larger chains that the products are being cheapened? Then we have the "Beauty" supply stores usually owned by some Asian Americans that have no clue about our hair or products but are allowed to sell the product and then sell if for cheap, to get all the business.

    I believe knowledge is power and with blogs like this and others that help keep us informed will be key to not being taken advantage of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good points Lita! Thank you for your input!

    ReplyDelete